Tourist offer

Korčula (20 minutes from Viganj)

Korcula is one of the biggest islands of Croatia. Few people know that Marco Polo, the famous Venetian explorer was actually born on here, in Croatia. The island’s capital is also called Korcula. This ancient city, called “Little Dubrovnik”, is among the most beautiful towns on the Croatian coast and is known for its unique architecture. One of the main attractions is the house of Marco Polo, which can be visited in the old city center.

The biggest and the most beautiful building of Korcula is the Cathedral of St. Marco. South from it, there is the Bishop’s Palace where the Abbatial Treasury of St. Marco is placed today with a rich collection of Croatian and Italian Renaissance artists, a collection of manuscripts and books and a collection of the ceremonial clothes. North from the Cathedral, there is a small church of St. Peter, the oldest preserved church in the town from the 11th century, on the western side of the square, there is Crkva Gospojina (Church of Our Lady) from 1483, a major Renaissance construction. More info at Korčula travel guide

Dubrovnik (2 hours from Viganj)

Summer… hot long days and even hotter short nights. Swimming in the crystal clear sea, a cocktail in a romantic place under the starry sky, sunrise…

Dubrovnik in summer offers street performances, the handsome city guards, Hamlet at Fort Lovrjenac and virtuoso concerts at the Rectors Palace Atrium. In summer Dubrovnik you will meet many famous people and see their luxurious yachts anchored in front of the Old City Harbour.

Dubrovnik in summer invites you to enjoy sitting on the steps of St Blaises Church and by the Orlando Column, to wash your face at the fountain, or, like many other visitors, try and take off your shirt while standing on one foot on the Franciscan Church gargoyle. More info at city pages of Dubrovnik


Mljet ( 90 minutes from Viganj)

For most people, Mljet is an island lost in the open sea, and the island is indeed hard to reach. But do not let this landscape – mentioned in the stories about Odyssey and St. Paul, as well as Benedictine monks and the Mediterranean Seal – remain a secret for you.

Mljet is an elongated island, with an average width of 3 km, 37 km long. It is an Island of great diversity and contrast, and “Mljet” National Park covers his northwestern part with an area of 5.375 ha of protected land and surrounding sea. This area was proclaimed as national park 11 November 1960 and represents the first institutionalized attempt to protect an original ecosystem in the Adriatic.

Mljet National Park has been proclaimed as an area of special interest for the following reasons:

• Its unique panoramic landscape of well intended coastline, cliffs, reefs and numerous islands, as well as the rich topography of the nearby hills, which rise steeply above the sea and hide numerous ancient stone villages. Mljet’s outer coastline is exposed to the south sea and is therefore steep and full of “garmas” collapsed caves. The inner coastline faces the mainland and is exposed to the “bura”, a strong northeasterly wind, but is less elevated with easier access.

• The salt lakes are a unique geological and oceanographic phenomenon of worldwide importance. They originated approximately 10,000 years ago and, until the Christian era, they were freshwater lakes. Some endemic Dalmatian plants can only be found on the rocky coast of the island. A beautiful endemic plant, named Dubrovačka Zečina is the best representative of them all.

• The Mediterranean karst landscape hides two natural specialties. The first are typical karst underground habitats: half-caves, caves and pits. The other specialty is Mljet’s “blatine”, which are rare occurrences of brackish lakes, which vanish from time to time. There is life in the lakes, but we know very little about it today apart from the fact that people have caught eels and marsh birds in them for centuries.panorama – click to enlarge

• Beautiful, rich forests once covered large areas of the Mediterranean Coast, but they are rarely preserved today as beautifully as they are on Mljet. The woods on Mljet gently descend all the way to thesurface of the lakes, thus creating animage of unspoiled nature. More info at official pages of National park Mljet

Mostar – Međugorje (3 hours from Viganj)

Mostar – The oldest single arch stone bridge in Mostar, the Kriva Ćuprija (“Sloping Bridge”), was built in 1558 by the Ottoman architect Cejvan Kethoda. It is said that this was to be a test before the major construction of the Stari Most began. The Old Bridge was completed in 1566 and was hailed as one of the greatest architectural achievement in the Ottoman controlled Balkans. This single-arch stone bridge is an exact replica of the original bridge that stood for over 400 years and that was designed by Hajrudin, a student of the great Ottoman architect Sinan. It spans 28.7 meters of the Neretva river, 21 meters above the summer water level. The Halebija and Tara towers have always housed the guardians of the bridge and during Ottoman times were storehouses for ammunition. The arch is a perfect semicircle 8.56 m in width and 4.15 m in height. The frontage and vault are made of regular stone cubes incorporated into the horizontal layers all along the vault. The space between vault, frontal walls and footpath is filled with cracked stone. The bridge footpath and the approaching roads are paved with cobblestones, as is the case with the main roads in the town. Stone steps enable people to ascend to the bridge either side.

The Cejvan Cehaj Mosque, built in 1552, il the oldest mosque in Mostar. Later a madrasah (Islamic school) was built on the same compound. The Old Bazaar, Kujundziluk is named after the goldsmiths who traditionally created and sold their wares on this street, and still sells authentic paintings and copper or bronze carvings of the Stari Most, pomegranates (the natural symbol of Herzegovina) or the famed stecaks (medieval tombstones).

More info at Mostar Wiki

Međugorje

The parish of Medjugorje is situated in Herzegovina, 25 km southwest of Mostar. Medjugorje, (the name is of Slavic origin, and signifies a region between two mounts) with the villages of Bijakovići, Vionica, Miletina and Šurmanci, forms a Roman-Catholic parish where today (in 2005) about 5000 inhabitants live. The pastoral care of the parish is confided to the priests of the Herzegovinian Franciscan Province of the Assumption of Mary.

The whole region is inhabited by Croatians who received Christianity 13 centuries ago. In historical documents, the village was mentioned in 1599for the first time. The present parish was founded in 1892 and dedicated to St. James the Apostle, protector of pilgrims.

Until June 24, 1981, Medjugorje lived like all other villages of this region: people worked on their land, planted tobacco and vineyards, produced wine and vegetables to acquire just enough for a modest life for their families. Because of social circumstances, many went out into the world: over the ocean and to Western European countries, as well as into towns in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia.

More info at Međugorje pages.